Saturday, July 28, 2018

First Grade Whole Class Concept Development, Word Knowledge and Sight Word Activities

During the first few days of school, I complete whole class activities with the students.  I focus on concept development, word knowledge (beginning sounds, word families and vowel sounds) and sight words  These are fun activities that focus on these  skills  In this first activity, I start with the title, two blank circles.  At this time there are no pictures or  categories at the bottom.
I begin with the words  - First Grade (since everyone is now a first grader).  Next, I explain that everything that is placed in the first circle is in my category.  Everything in the second circle is not. 
I begin with the paintbrushes.  I tell students that the paintbrushes are in my category  Next, I put the puppy in the second circle and tell the students that the puppy is not in my category.
Next, I add the  paint in the first circle and then the tractor in the second circle following the example above.  I continue the routine until all pictures are placed.  At that time the category is determined - In the classroom
Next, we sort the picture/word cards of the above activity according to beginning letter/sounds.

Additional  Name My Category  Practice Pages (Pictures and then Words)
My Category - Things that Fly - bird, helicopter, Eagle, air balloon, kite and bee. 
The following activities are great to place on the ELMO to project for everyone to see.
Name My Category - Fruits/Vegetables that are Juices -  pineapple, grape, carrot,
lemonade, tomato, orange, apple and grapefruit plus blender (use as a hint) 
     

My Category - words that end in at.
My category - sight words
Templates for First Activity




Templates for Second Activity


Templates for Third Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment