Saturday, August 26, 2017

First Graders Learning About Problem-Solution Text Structures

This is a  great lesson to teach first graders about problem solution text structures.  I used the book Crazy Hair Day!  This is a book that is both engaging and easy for children to relate to (a kid at school who thinks it is crazy hair day but it isn't).  Stanley is the main character.   He makes a mistake.  He confuses Crazy Hair Day and Picture Day. He doesn't want to be in the class picture because he has crazy hair.  The solution is funny.  The class surprises him and they all mess up their hair or put something on their heads so Stanley will feel comfortable taking the class picture with them. 
The first day I read the story to the children.  The next, day I explained the problem-solution text structure.  I put up the following drawing and added two blank pieces of chart paper with the titles: Problem?, Solution!
As I read the book again, we filled out each chart.  A student supplied the word entire replacing whole!  I am very impressed with my first graders.
Together we completed the charts and it was time for student's to complete their practice paper.
Template for Problem Solution Text Structure
More Student Examples
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment